Standard Of Writing Genealogical Information
by Jeannette Piecznski
The standard format to writing information is a must. Errors in format can cause major headaches later.
- Surnames always in all capital letters.
- Use maiden names of females. If a female has been previously married, use her maiden name and her married name.
- Write names by using first then last names.
- Nicknames follow the given name in quotation marks.
- Use slashes between variations is spelling. Use the earlier spelling to the left and later to the right.
- Use the format of day month year. No punctuation.
- Record the information in this order: town, county, state, country.
- Use parentheses or comas.
Errors and Other Methods